Skip Links

Press release

OSCE media freedom representative alarmed by another attack on newspaper in Montenegro

Date:
Place:
VIENNA
Source:
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media
Fields of work:
Media freedom and development

VIENNA, 13 February 2014 – OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatović today condemned yet another attack on daily newspaper Vijesti in Montenegro.

“I am extremely concerned about journalists’ safety in Montenegro. Today’s attack adds to the already very dangerous trend of violence and hostility toward members of the media in the country,” said Mijatović.

On Thursday morning a company car of Vijesti was set on fire in Podgorica. Today’s attack is the fifth instance on which a car from Vijesti was destroyed.

“I urge the authorities to condemn and investigate this incident, yet another one in a series of attacks on Montenegrin journalists. The country’s authorities must understand how serious of an issue this trend of violence against journalists is, and urgently address the situation of impunity,” said Mijatović.

Mijatović also said she was looking forward to visiting Montenegro soon in order to discuss all media freedom concerns.

The Representative has previously condemned attacks against Vijesti on several occasions:

//www.osce.org/fom/81005

//www.osce.org/fom/81977

//www.osce.org/fom/88784


Contacts

Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media

Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media

Wallnerstrasse 6
1010 Vienna
Austria

Jennifer Adams, Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media

Office of the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media

Wallnerstrasse 6
1010 Vienna
Austria